Where did Yoga come from?
Where Did Yoga Come From?
Yoga is said to have originated in India during the Golden Age, nearly 26,000 years ago. The actual Sanskrit word, when broken down, means "to control", "to yoke" or "to unite". The word has also been translated to mean "joining", "uniting" and "union". The union is made between the self and the spirit. Yoga is a major part of the Hindu religion as it embodies their natural state of being and spiritual enlightenment. Yoga is used in conjunction with meditation.
A Hindu teacher named Patanjali was said to have recorded the first principles of yoga in religious scriptures known as the Yoga Sutra. Many forms of yoga have been developed since – each focusing on a new realm of personal development.
Hatha yoga came to the west in the 1920s thanks to T. Krishnamacharya and remains the most popular style today.
Yoga BenefitsYoga has been proven to increase health and body awareness allowing yoga participants to better control their bodies. From flexibility increases to better body alignment, Yoga can help with a variety of ailments.
Physical Benefits of Yoga
- Increased Flexibility
- Increased Strength
- Improved Balance
- Increased Stamina
- Improved Body Alignment (reduces joint pain)
- Stress Reduction
- Body Awareness
- Better Sleep
- Improve self-confidence
- Yo don't need to bring your own equipment as mats, blocks and blankets are provided.
- What time does the class start and how early should you arrive? Please arrive at least 5 minutes before the class starts. Yoga should not be rushed, the evening class on Wednesdays is 90 minutes.
- Clothing. Wear something comfortable you can move freely in.
- Pre-yoga Stretching
- Pranayama: Breathing Exercises to get the body relaxed and focused
- Warm-up Positions
- Workout yoga positions
- Relaxation Cool-down period
- Yoga Nidra
- Take off your shoes before entering the workout area
- Power off all electronic devices
- Be on time or early
- Try to do the poses, if you can't, do one you can do and hold it
- Never leave class early, it disrupts others and you'll miss your final relaxation